Monday, October 30, 2017

Game On (Hometown Player #6) By: Victoria Denault


First off, I need to send a huge shot out to Forever Romance for sending out the ARC to this one. y'all rock, and I can't thank you enough.



When it comes to scoring in the pro hockey league, Alex Larue is crushing it-with the hot puck bunnies. He's the life of the party, the guy with all the jokes . . . and the one whose Party Guy mask keeps the real him well hidden. The last thing he needs is anyone finding out about his troubled past, or the nightmares that haunt him still. 

Brie Bennett is less than impressed by Alex from the moment she meets him. And even though he insists on volunteering at the charity she runs, she doesn't trust him. He's hiding something...but so is she. She's not just the rich, privileged New York princess he thinks she is. The animosity between them is undeniably addictive and as their worlds keep colliding it becomes supercharged with something else - attraction. But if they stop playing games and let each other in, they both might lose.


So let's get into this review shall we?

I have to admit that this is the first book from Victoria's Hometown Players series I've read (yes I know. Bad bad me. But let me tell you. I want them all now. I fell in love with these guys and I want to see all the stories I've been missing out on)

But this book had almost everything I look for in a good sports romance. (I could have maybe used a bit more actual hockey in it. But Victoria did good incorporating at least some of the sport. So we weren't left with one of those "sports romances" that's just about an athlete with none of the actual sports going on. If that makes sense haha)

But any who. We got the sports, the brooding hockey player, some sexy time, and a whole bunch of other stuff I won't say here so I don't spoil anything for ya'll. And it just all worked so well together to create a great story.

I loved seeing the journey that Brie and Alex went on during this book. Both characters met in the funniest way. And then the build up between them was super interesting and even a bit touching at times. They both had such sad pasts, and to see how it shaped them and made them who they are was quite beautiful and heartbreaking to read.

Here we have Alex. This big tough hockey player, who's always starting crap with other teams during games. And when you see him off the ice he's a completely different person. Much more reserved and funny. Definitely a playboy of sorts. But he also has the kindest heart. And you can't help but feel a little sad for him at how he came to be like that. But also amazed by how much he's overcome and turned his life I to something so successful and awesome.

And then there's Brie. You can't help but not like her. She's feisty and strong willed. And seriously has a heart of gold and a passion not many people have in their lives. She doesn't take anything life has given her for granted. And takes no crap. Including that dished out from a certain broody hockey hunk.
She was down to earth and funny. And not afraid to put someone in their place when they needed it (cough cough Alex hehe)

Plus Victoria just touches on a subject that I think we need to see more of out there. And she writes it in a way that makes you not just feel sorry about it. But want to get out and go help. To make a difference much the same way the characters are.
Honestly she touches on a couple different things. And I'm glad she did. We need more authors who aren't afraid to get into the stuff society sees as things we need to be hush hush about and pretends like it doesn't happen.

I really truly enjoyed this book. And hope ya'll pick up a copy when it releases.

I give GAME ON
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐5 STARS⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

No comments:

Post a Comment