Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Sweet Evil By: Wendy Higgins

Overview: Embrace the Forbidden
What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?
This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.
Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns? (From Barns and Noble)

I loved this book. It was AH-MAZ-ING!!! Higgins twist on nephilim and the fallen angels was great. I really liked how these characters were on the opposite spectrum of a normal angel book. Looking into the evil side of things and the temptation we as humans are plagued with everyday had me drawn in immediately. But I have to admit I was skeptical at first. The book introduces bad boy drummer Kaidan (Kai like thi) and like most paranormal romance books Anna immediately falls for him. Which who can blame her? That boy is H.O.T. Hot!! But something I did not like was how hurt Anna was every time her and Kaidan would fight or pull away from each other. She would become depressed and in my opinion way over emotional and over the top. (But after reading the 2nd book in the series I actually found myself thinking the opposite as the story grew. So definitely keep reading to get a better feel for the story) 
Something that Higgins did that I really liked was how she addressed the passing of time. For once the book took place over a huge span of time rather than just a few days or a week. Sometimes paranormal romances have a bad way of keeping everything in such a few amount of days that when they try to expand the time frame for sequel they have to make huge crazy jumps where you feel like you miss a lot of details. Higgins was able to spread the story line out and I never felt like I lost any detail, and it made the story much more realistic. 
Like I was saying before I absolutely adored Higgins view of fallen angels and the nephilim. They aren't looked on as fallen angels, but as daemons. And not just any daemons but the ones that represent the 7 deadly sins along with a few other things. Bad-A. And then there's the neph, the half children of the daemons, who inherit their parents sins or specialties. Meaning that the nephs aren't considered the good guys for once. Or so they think...  It is a great twist and I totally give it a thumbs up.
And on to my favorite part. Kaidan. Oh mamma he is one HOT boy. My total love for a bad boy might make me a bit bias but I am almost for sure that when you start reading you will agree. The drummer of a hot new band Kaidan is the epitome of sexy. And Anna will find out that means in more ways than one. Kaidan comes off as the slick player and draws Anna in immediately.  He is curious about Anna and wants to know more about her, while also fighting a deeper attraction he's afraid of and can't even begin to explain. I love his attitude and compassion though. He helps Anna and you can see he truly cares about her even though there are a million reasons to stay away. His demonic dad being the first. 
I give Sweet Evil 5 stars and encourage you to read the first two books that are out already.

No comments:

Post a Comment