Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Beautiful Dark By: Jocelyn Davies

OverviewOn the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers whose sudden appearance sends her life into a tailspin. Complete opposites, Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Skye has no idea what they want or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.
Then, in the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye discovers an impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can't help falling for, and Devin, who she can't stay away from, the consequences of Skye's choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine. (from Barns and Noble)

So I finally found a new angel series to become enthralled with. I have been missing my angel fix ever sense Hush Hush, Fallen, and Nightwatchers ended. Well lets get into it. I love the contrast between Asher and Devin, the dark vs. light. It adds that air of mystery and intrigue that I crave so much with a good old love triangle. I actually had a hard time trying to decide just which boy I liked the best. Personally I love me a bad boy, so I was drawn directly to Asher. But as the book keeps going the more romantic side of me was pulled to Devin. He is sweet, caring, and a bit awkward. Which is absolutely ADORABLE. Something I didn't like in particular with this book though was that after Skye meets the two boys and gets drawn into their world she starts to completely ignoring her friends. Poor Ian who has a mondo crush on Skye just kinda gets pushed to the back burner and is hardly even mentioned. It would have added more drama to keep his character in the story instead of just in the beginning, end, and maybe one or two other parts. Skye's other friend Cassie is at least in more of the story which always adds that "normal" person into the mix, and makes everything Skye is going through much more secretive and harder to keep hiding. Which adds to the drama of course. Something that I also liked was the twist on the angel part. It isn't your typical angel vs. demon or even fallen angel against regular angels. (Although I do think that it is a small version of fallen vs. regular) Davies presents both sides so well though that i found it quite refreshing and new. But I am almost for sure I would like anything about angels, because I am a SUCKER for them. Just saying *shrug*. And just so everyone knows. I want super cool angel powers. The stuff Skye can do even if it isn't controlled is pretty freaking cool. My just last complaint is that Skye would have really believed that what was happening to her was actually something inside her. For a good while every time something weird happened that she couldn't explain she kind of just wrote it off until the next incident. And yes I know that you don't want to reveal everything real quick in a book, but i wish Davies would have got the ball rolling a little quicker. It just seemed like all the crazy stuff came real fast at the end. Like Wham! Bam! Thank you mam! But hey I am not an author so it is not my decision. 
Well I don't want to give too much away so I'll stop there. But definitely giving A Beautiful Dark 5 stars. Can't wait to get started on the second book in the series A Fractured Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment