Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Soul In Darkness By: Wendy Higgins


I cannot tell y'all how excited I am to the chance to read and review this book early. I want to give a huge thank you to Wendy for getting this pretty sent out.
And I highly suggest all of you go out and grab yourselves a copy when it hits shelves February 12, 2019

I know the tear has just started too, but this has been my favorite 2019 has brought so far haha



Wendy is one of those authors for me that I rarely even need to read the book description to know I will be buying her next book. She could put a wrinkled napkin with some writing on it in my hand, and I would probably gush over it haha
I've gotten the chance to meet Wendy a few times now (She was actually the first author I ever went to a book signing for too)



But she is one of the nicest and most adorable people I have met. So don't think my review is bias or anything haha





People travel from afar to the small isle in the Aegean Sea hoping for a single glimpse of Princess Psyche. Their adoration for the mortal woman is so all-consuming that citizens begin to shower her with the very gifts and offerings they once left at the alter of Venus, goddess of love and beauty. 

But gods are known for their jealousy.

Cupid, the god of love, takes pleasure in causing strife and mischief in the lives of humans. He uses love as a weapon, humoring in the weakness of people at the whims of their feelings. When his mother Venus approaches him about punishing the human girl who dares to steal her offerings and affections from the people, Cupid gladly accepts. 

Psyche's punishment is to be given to a mysterious creature who only comes to her in the dark of night under the pact that she will never lay eyes on him. She is terrified of this stranger, who the oracle described as a serpent. Her mate, however, is masterful in his dealings with his bride. He takes his time, morphing her fears into different sensations completely. 

Based on the Roman/Greek mythology of Cupid and Psyche by Lucius Apuleius, New York Times bestseller Wendy Higgins brings the tale to life, weaving layers that show exactly how a sacrificial lamb can be enchanted by an unseen monster.


Awww this book. I always look forward to one of Wendy's stories. She writes the most amazing ones. Especially these re-tellings. Between this now, and the The Great Hunt duet. I cannot wait to see where her awesome head will go on the next retell.

But where to start on this actual book. It's easy to say it's designed wonderfully. Since the basis of it is already laid out so well. But the way Wendy spun it. How she created it into her own story was great. She gave so much more depth and feeling to these ancient characters. And I loved getting swept up in this book. And boy did I.
Less then 2 days pretty much is all it took. And that was having to work and sleep mixed into my reading time haha.



My favorite thing about this book by far was Psyche herself. If you've read the actual tale of her and cupid.... she was a kind hearted beautiful girl. But this version and expansion of her just made it that much better. She was fierce and strong. And so kind and caring. And you couldn't help but want to cheer for her with each accomplishment. And gasp at each challenge. Maybe because she's a mortal in this story. And that mortality shines though and can be relatable. She isn't some crazy mystic being the way any of the immortals are. And she still has those human characteristics that allow us to show sympathy and relate.


Cupid wasn't so bad either haha. I loved his personality, the quick whit and charm he shown. And yet how protective and loyal he could be to those he loved. Plus he's a God of love after all. He has that whole hot and brooding thing going for him too haha.


But also something else I really enjoyed in this book. Was the sense of looking deeper than what you can see. To trust yourself and your instincts. And not let what other tell you, or even your own mind sway you. That even when we have an option of something in out heads, it doesn't make it so.
That idea of blind love. That actions and our feelings are so much more powerful then our opinions.


All in all. I have to say this book just had it all for me. The romance, suspense, cunning, and the flow of just an amazing story.

I cannot wait for this book to be out so everyone can get the chance to read it. It should be one that's at the top of your to buy list ❤


I without a doubt give SOUL IN DARKNESS
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐5 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐



No comments:

Post a Comment