Friday, January 25, 2019

House Of Salt And Sorrows By: Erin A. Craig


I want to send a huge thank you to Netgalley and the wonderful people over at Delacorte Press, for approving my request to review this crazy amazing book. 💗💗💗
I can't say enough good things about this story, and I encourage everyone to go grab a copy when it releases August 2019 




As one by one her beautiful sisters mysteriously die on their isolated island estate, Annaleigh must unravel the curse that haunts her family. Be careful who you dance with. . . .

In a manor by the sea, twelve sisters are cursed.

Annaleigh lives a sheltered life at Highmoor, a manor by the sea, with her sisters, their father, and stepmother. Once they were twelve, but loneliness fills the grand halls now that four of the girls' lives have been cut short. Each death was more tragic than the last—the plague, a plummeting fall, a drowning, a slippery plunge—and there are whispers throughout the surrounding villages that the family is cursed by the gods.

Disturbed by a series of ghostly visions, Annaleigh becomes increasingly suspicious that the deaths were no accidents. Her sisters have been sneaking out every night to attend glittering balls, dancing until dawn in silk gowns and shimmering slippers, and Annaleigh isn't sure whether to try to stop them or to join their forbidden trysts. Because who—or what—are they really dancing with?

When Annaleigh's involvement with a mysterious stranger who has secrets of his own intensifies, it's a race to unravel the darkness that has fallen over her family—before it claims her next.


This book! Oh my goodness this book!!

I've been on a huge fantasy kick this past month. (It's been the only thing to pull me put of my reading slump)
And when I saw this one on Netgalley I decided to take a chance and requested it.

And I'm so happy I did.
Erin A. Craig is a new to me author, but she's now one I will definitely go back to the more books she writes.

This story just really drew me in. It had that great mix of suspense, mystery, well built characters, and amazing story telling.

It took me a bit to really put together that this one was loosely based on the 12 dancing princesses (at least I think it is haha)
But the spin on it, if I'm right about that. Was so great. It was such a fresh look on the story. And even if that isn't the true bases for the story, I loved the mythology that was created in the book.


There was just so much thought and world building put into HOSAS.
I could picture myself on the islands. Surrounded by the salty breeze and crashing waves. And I loved that. It takes a special kind of author to create such a vivid and realistic world. And to put it mildly, I was impressed.

Something else that really did that for me too, was Erin's ability to keep me on my toes and guessing.
I always joke about having bookish spidy powers. Being able to guess book plots and twists and all that. And this one had me 2nd guessing myself so many times. Just when I would think I had the plot twist down, something new would be thrown at me and I'd be reevaluating everything. (I was right on 2 of the biggest things though. So go me haha)
But I'm always super in love with books that have the ability to make me question my own thoughts. They are a fun surprise and just drive me to keep turning the pages to see what will really happen.


And let's talk characters for a second.
From all 8 sisters, to the maids, to dreamy boys and broody guards. I honestly enjoyed them all.
Everyone had their own special personality. And all contributed to the story. No one was there as a place filler. They all had a purpose, and built off one another to deepen the attachment to the story.
There was a great dynamic between them all. How they could showcase the others weakness or flaws. But also allow them to blossom and shine at times.
It was like looking at the cast of a well written script reading about each of them and seeing how they interacted.
Annaleigh, Verity, and Cassius especially. I truly adored all 3 of them. And they quickly became my favorites of the bunch. Plus, the craziness that surrounded the 3 at any given time was just a blast to read.
They all had different stories to share. But they added so much to the overall plot and helping to put all the pieces together.
Plus.... Cassius was especially dreamy in his dark and mysterious ways *wiggles eyebrows


And the twist. Oh man the twist. I won't spoil it, but just know. This one will be one you will be dying to find out about. To see how the book unfolds and who will live and who may not.

My maybe only one complaint would be that I felt the ending was just a tad rushed. Like the wrap up of it all. The big climax was plenty suspenseful and crazy with the reveals.
But I felt the last chapter just maybe could have given me just a bit more. But even at that I cant say it changed how I felt about the book. It was still an amazing read, and the final ending was pretty perfect.

This book is a seat of the pants, cant turn the page fast enough kinda book. And you will want to scoop up a copy as soon as it releases.

I give HOUSE OF SALT AND SORROWS
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐5 STARS⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


No comments:

Post a Comment