Friday, January 8, 2016

Oblivion (Lux Series #6) By: Jennifer L. Armentrout


I am so excited to get to share my review of Oblivion by Jen Armentrout with you today.
This is one of my absolute favorite series, and I am so unbelievably happy we get it all in Daemon POV
*SWOON!!!



Experience the epic love story of OBSIDIAN as told by its hero, Daemon Black…

I knew the moment Katy Swartz moved in next door, there was going to be trouble. Lots of it.

And trouble’s the last thing I need, since I’m not exactly from around here. My people arrived on Earth from Lux, a planet thirteen billion light years away. Plus, if there’s one thing I know, it’s that humans can’t be trusted. We scare them. We can do things they only dream about, and honestly, we make them look weak as hell. ‘Cuz they are.

But Kat is getting to me in ways no one else has, and I can’t stop myself from wanting her–or wanting to use my powers to protect her. She makes me weak, and I’m the strongest of our kind, tasked with protecting us all. So this one simple girl…she can mean the end for us. Because the Luxen have an even bigger enemy–the Arum, and I need to stay on my game.

Falling for Katy–a human–won’t just place her in danger. It could get us all killed, and that’s one thing I’ll never let happen…





So just so everyone knows. I am a huge Lux series fan. I found the books back right around the time Opal (Book 3) was coming out, and the series is still by far one of my absolute favorites. It actually tends to be one I compare all those other YA books out there to. Them and a couple other series (Sweet Evil, Hush Hush, etc...)
The Lux series also happens to be some of my favorite stand by books. I own them not only in paperback (Both editions) but have them on my Nook as well. When I get into a slump or just need a book to pass the time, something I can't invest a whole lot of time into. I pick up one of these books. I love reading them, and because I've read them several times now, I don't feel guilty putting them down in the middle of the story if I have something I need to do.

So when I found out that the first three books in the series were coming out in Daemon's POV I may have even shed a happy tear or two (Ok that's a lie, we all know I am heartless and don't shed tears haha) 
I mean Daemon is the most awesome book boyfriend ever (Can you tell I'm a bit obsessed yet? Hehe) and getting a whole book from his POV instead of just those few bonus scenes we've gotten in the past would make any book nerd happy.


Plus Daemon is just one of those extremely complex characters. He is not only the protector of his own family, but the one all the older Lux turn to for protection. He's by far the strongest of them, and because of these things he kinda comes off as the hard A... I mean Butt, to keep everyone he cares about safe. Putting his own feelings to the side because of this. Which makes him a huge huge JERK. Well in the beginning anyways.


So now getting a look inside his head, and finding out why he acted the way he did, and seeing his true feelings for Katy was good. Eye opening even hehe.

I liked seeing him a little vulnerable and unsure about things here and there.
He generally is a good guy who has just had to make some really grown up choices before anyone should have to at his age. So much rests on his shoulders, especially when it comes to keeping his sister Dee safe. Everything he does comes back to him dealing with the lose of his brother Dawson, who Daemon thinks he failed, and having to be the one to keep Dee safe now that it's only the two of them. Also there are the Thomson triplets that him and Dee are friends with, and Daemon feels like he must protect them as well. They are just like family and he will be the one to keep all of them safe from any threats. Even Kat. Because as harmless as she may be... well... at least in the beginning (I won't get into that though haha) she is a human a threat because of it.
And we all know that whole plan he has going on... yeah it epically fails, because this would be him about halfway into the book haha


So something I want to get into into a little more are Katy and Daemon themselves.
Like I said, we get so much more when it comes to Daemon's true feelings, and we get to see that lovably hot and jerkish side isn't all there is (Even if that side is unbelievably HOT)


He really considers so many angles to each situation, and thinks about everything so much, so he's making the best decision for everyone.
The way he feels about Katy is so much... MORE...in this book. To the point that you can practically feel his emotions yourself (Can you feel a fictional persons emotions?? I'm going to go with a plausible on this haha)
He experiences things so fully. Love, loss, kindness, jerkyness, etc...And while yes we saw a good amount of those sides in the previous books, it is magnified ten fold in this one.

Also we get to see a bit of a new side to Katy too. I think when you see it from her POV you are a lot more sympathetic to why she does things and makes the decisions she does.

But let me tell you. All that Blake crap????
It made me want to reach into the book and smack her till she found some common sense. You could just see all the dumb things she was doing so clearly, and really begin to understand why Daemon had such a problem with it all. I really think if I had seen Katy from this perspective to begin with I wouldn't have liked her nearly as much.
Now don't get me wrong, she is still one of my favorite book heroins. It's just that she comes off as a lot more naive and made so many choices based on the wrong reasons. And it made her so completely blind to what was going to happen. I mean, I know Jen throws a lot of twists into her books,but she also sets things up well enough that you have some sort of clue as to what's going to happen. But with all that sort of negative stuff we also got to see the side of Katy that drew Daemon and Dee to her.
She sees herself very differently from the way Daemon does. (Even if he didn't see her that way at first) He tries his hardest to make her seem plain, and as far from what he's actually attracted to so he will stay away. Even if she actually is perfect for him (Boys... yiesh!!) 

But it was interesting to see how she slowly changed in Daemon's eyes. How he really began to fall for her. She's so important to him, and she has no idea how much so until so much farther down the line.
That's probably my favorite thing about the book actually. Seeing so many of each of their feelings develop and change (Because I'm sure I haven't repeated myself enough for you to notice yet hehe)


Something else I really liked (most of the time) was learning that not everything is what it seemed in the original books.
Daemon is a LIAR!!!!!!!!


Like seriously, that boy made up so much stuff to get close to Kat. (Ok I will say there may have been once or twice I mentally was going shush! Shush! Don't ruin it for me Jen. I like living in my world where it stays the way Katy perceived it) but seriously, most of the time I found it incredibly hilarious that the things that were changed from his POV and given at  afresh angle.

Jen did such an amazing job getting into Daemon's mind set. And I can without a doubt say I am so happy that she decided to give us this book.


Daemon is just one of those characters you can't help but fall for, and finally... FINALLY!!!! We get to see what was going on in that pretty little head.


Also, Jen expands on things in this book. Which gives us some pretty awesome new material that wasn't in the previous books. There were scenes that I fell in love with for the first time, and others I had forgotten about and realized how much I truly loved and adored again.



While I would suggest you read the original 5 books in the series first, and then come back to this one.You can defiantly start with this one too if you are new to the Lux world.

Also...There is so much alien action and fun in this one. And oh gawd!!! So much teenage angst!!!!
But those little moments that Daemon goes through are the most important. They are what make this book and the whole series really so amazing. And I am so happy to be able to read such a fun and sweetly romantic action packed series.

Thanks so much for giving us Daemon fans this book Jen. You wrote it beautifully, and I can truly say it has been the greatest way to end a series. Even if it is the end after the end haha

I give OBLIVION: *****5 Stars***** 




Since I have made this post so full of fun gifyness I'll leave you some Winchester love to send you off *kisses


Also can we just take  long minute to appreciate the perfection that is Pepe...
I seriously have such a crush on this man. (He is going to be Daemon, even when someone different is playing him in the movie)
I'm not sure I should even be admitting this, but...I was even joking about trying to figure out a way to get to Oklahoma just to see him play soccer haha. (Not crushing hard or anything. Nope. No way hehe)

But luckily I won't have to go that far because I get to meet him in February in Savannah during Apollycon (Oh my GAWD I cannot wait!!!!!!)
*insert Fangirl scream here*

Everyone wish me luck that I don't make a total dork of myself when I do hahaha (I'm such an awkward person. It is bound to happen) I'll be sure to take lots of pics of my attempts at normalcy. Don't worry ;P 




*Sigh!!!!! Those eyes... That smile...

No comments:

Post a Comment