Friday, October 4, 2013

Let The Sky Fall By: Shannon Messenger

Ok ya'll I have a new favorite book. It only took me three days to read, which is actually longer than normal for me when I find something I really enjoy, but hey life can sometimes get in the way of reading every minute of the day. No matter how bad I want to hehe.

Synopsis:
Seventeen-year-old Vane Weston has no idea how he survived the category five tornado that killed his parents. And he has no idea if the beautiful, dark-haired girl who’s swept through his dreams every night since the storm is real. But he hopes she is.
Seventeen-year-old Audra is a sylph, an air elemental. She walks on the wind, can translate its alluring songs, and can even coax it into a weapon with a simple string of commands. She’s also a guardian—Vane’s guardian—and has sworn an oath to protect Vane at all costs. Even if it means sacrificing her own life.
When a hasty mistake reveals their location to the enemy who murdered both of their families, Audra’s forced to help Vane remember who he is. He has a power to claim—the secret language of the West Wind, which only he can understand. But unlocking his heritage will also unlock the memory Audra needs him to forget. And as the storm bears down on them, she starts to realize the greatest danger might not be the warriors coming to destroy them—but the forbidden romance that’s grown between them. (From Barnes and Noble)

So I cannot believe that I have not heard of this book till now. I absolutely L.O.V.E.D. it. Now I know that almost all of these reviews wind up with me saying how much I like a book, but hey I am picky about the books that I pick up off shelves when i'm not being opened minded for a new ARC or something, and because of this picky-ness I typically will not even start reading a book unless the cover and synopsis strike my book bone. (Yes there is such a thing as a book bone. Its right between your brain and your heart lol) 

So at first I was not all lovey dovey with this book. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the first person dialog. which just so ya'll know I admit it is ridiculous to even feel that way. I guess I get so used to books being in third person that it always takes me an adjusting period to get used to it. But by chapter three or four I was so into the story that I wasn't even thinking about the dialog anymore. The story is split POV between Vane and Audra, which I love split POV because it really adds to a story I think. You get to find out more of the whole picture than you do from one characters perspective, get a chance to see into each characters mind and find out what their thinking or feeling during a specific situation or piece of dialog. And with this story it really worked. There were things that Audra knew that she couldn't tell Vane about, and by getting a glimpse into her head you see just how she feels about herself, and the feelings for Vane that she tries so hard to hide. 

I love the chemistry between Vane and Audra. Vane is the goofy, sarcastic, easy going guy that doesn't take things very seriously most of the time. He tends to keep to him self although he does have friends. Plus he has terrible luck with dates, if it's not one thing ruining them for him it's another. Or more specifically its an Audra. Audra could be considered the complete opposite of Vane. She is uptight and trained to protect Vane from the same fate both their parents suffered. Dealing with her own inner turmoil while having to try and prepare them both for the impending stormers who are coming to kill them will push her to realize not only the feelings she has for Vane but make her realize that she may be blaming the wrong person for what happened so long ago. The two characters really in my opinion balance each other out and have a great dynamic throughout the story. While for once I am not having one of my book boyfriend freak out moments I must say I found Vane absolutely adorable and he will most definitely be on my ever growing book boyfriend list. And come on what hot windwalker wouldn't make the hottie list? he he

So one of the things that I enjoyed the most about this book was Messenger's originality. I know I have said it before, but when an author can come up with something new I get excited. I am an avid vampire, mermaid, siren, alien kinda girl but when I picked this book up off the shelf at the library (Yes I still go to the library. I am a huge library advocate. As a poor college kid, and as much as I love to read I just can't afford what most books, even E-books cost these days) I was instantly curious to see what the freak a "windwalker" or "sylph" was. It was like a breath of fresh air to see something so new being done (Ha get it a breath of fresh air. haha. Yeah I know I'm not that funny *sigh) Any who, Messenger gives an awesome new world where the wind can be manipulated and the forces of good and bad are in an epic battle to see who will essentially rule the winds and the world if wanted. One problem with that is the only person who could understand all four of the winds has no idea how too. While Audra stands on the "good" side as a guardian and tries to help Vane learn who he is and his full potential, the evil Raiden is bent on mastering the four winds to rule the world. While the westerly wind people have all but died protecting their language and heritage Vane is all that is left, and he and Audra are the last hope of defeating Raiden.




Like I said before I loved this book. 5 stars most definitely. I would encourage you to all go out and get a copy either from your local library, bookstore, or E-book store. It is worth reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment