Friday, August 28, 2015

Sustained (The Legal Briefs Series #2) By: Emma Chase


I want to start this whole shebang out by saying thank you so much to Gallery books for not only sending me an eARC of this book, but for also sending me a finished copy too. I love Emma Chase's book so much and couldn't wait to get my hands on the next book in this amazing series. And let me just tell you, this book did not disappoint. It is probably actually my favorite she has written so far.
Hope you enjoy this review, and I really do hope you go out and grab a copy of not only Sustained but The first book In The Legal briefs Series Overruled.



A knight in tarnished armor is still a knight.

When you’re a defense attorney in Washington, DC, you see firsthand how hard life can be, and that sometimes the only way to survive is to be harder. I, Jake Becker, have a reputation for being cold, callous, and intimidating—and that suits me just fine. In fact, it’s necessary when I’m breaking down a witness on the stand.

Complications don’t work for me—I’m a “need-to-know” type of man. If you’re my client, tell me the basic facts. If you’re my date, stick to what will turn you on. I’m not a therapist or Prince Charming—and I don’t pretend to be.

Then Chelsea McQuaid and her six orphaned nieces and nephews came along and complicated the ever-loving hell out of my life. Now I’m going to Mommy and Me classes, One Direction concerts, the emergency room, and arguing cases in the principal’s office.

Chelsea’s too sweet, too innocent, and too gorgeous for her own good. She tries to be tough, but she’s not. She needs someone to help her, defend her…and the kids.

And that—that, I know how to do.


Ok ya'll I think I have found the love of my life and his name is Jake Becker. (Chelsea McQuaid watch your back girl I'm coming for him hehe)

But in all seriousness I really did love Jake, and Chelsea, and well the whole book when it comes down to it.

Emma Chase never fails to amaze me with the comedy and characters she creates. I love that her books always come from these strong amazing men. Yes they are a bit over controlling and full of themselves, but I think that's what makes them so lovable. They think they are all big and bad and can do whatever they want and most of them are perpetual man whores (shock! gasp!) (And not all of them are, yes I know) and yet, I find it amazing that these men always wind up falling for women that are just a s strong and make them rethinking everything.

So lets go ahead and talk characters, just get it out of the way now, because ya'll know I can go on forever about them hehe. And you also know i never start with the guys, but in this case I am. Just because I feel he needs to be discussed to be able to talk about the other characters. 



So... Jake Becker
Like I said I am in love with the dude. He's hot, smart, knows how to argue, has tattoos, (So many tattoos *shivers)  is funny as heck, has amazing friends, and a seller job. I mean seriously is there anything the man doesn't do? Oh yeah, and he has an awesome Mom and Step dad. Can't forget that, the parents are always a big one when they're around. But even with all those things going for him, I just like Jake as a person. He really is a hard worker and cares about the people in his life.  He knows that he has made mistakes, and yet he has worked his butt of to make something of himself from them. 

Jake is also pretty brutally honest, which truth be told I like. He isn't one to lie to you about things and if asked will give you the full story. Including the story about his past and the bad things he did as a young man. He is so open with Chelsea and even makes some pretty dumb decisions out of that honesty (no matter how misguided). This is what makes him a good lawyer. Well that and the fact that he is intimidating as heck.

Also something I like about Jake's character is how passionate about things he is. Take his work. He is one of the best defense attorneys in D.C. and almost never loses a case. And he's like that because he know's what needs to be argued, how to spin a story, and how to make the other team run away screaming. He's pretty ruthless when it comes to his job actually. He knows he's working for the "Dark Side" but he also knows that someone has to do it, and that he does it well. And yet he does realize when defending someone can be the wrong choice. That right there is the one thing that makes him the man he is. Because even though he may be working for who are considered the bad guys he knows it, and he knows when it is time to draw the line. 

Something else I think that really needs to be talked about about him is that Jake was not always the good straight and narrow man he is. When he was younger he went through his bought of Bad Boyness. But Jake was able to find someone who cared enough to give him another chance and help him to learn the right things to do. He made him work for it but in the end made him so much stoner. Jake knows what it means to get a second chance and he knows what you have to do to fully make something of yourself from that. 

I think the most important thing was that he had someone who was willing to give that to him. Who didn't just see him as some screw up lost cause kid. 
The person who gave him that Jake fondly calls the Judge, and although we don't get a ton about him, he pops into the story enough that I really liked the man. He is tough but also a good person who cares a whole lot about the people around him. He took a messed up angry kid and showed him the potential he could have. And there were a few parts involving him that did make me a bit sad, but only because I grew to like this minor character that is barley even in the story so much.



Ok time to talk Chelsea.
This poor woman has really been through a lot when it comes down to it. Her whole life has been uprooted, and she is now the sole guardian to her brother and Sister-in-law's six crazy children, and yet no matter how crazy it gets she is there for them, and loves them like they are her own children.

She is strong, and kind, and acts like someone way beyond her twenty six years.
I really liked her relationship with the kids too. You could tell things weren't perfect between them all, but the kids care for her and she them. They all help Chelsea out when needed (Fighting included) and stick closely together. But no matter how on top of things she is there is only so much she can do to help them. And that is where I love that she's not afraid to accept help when it's given. Like when Jake come into the picture. It isn't really on the best circumstances considering her nephew is trying his hand at petty theft. But as soon as Jake walks into her and the children's lives and starts helping her, she never pushes him away or pretends that she can do it all alone (As much as she wants to be Super Woman she is not. And that's ok) 

I also like how she brings this completely different person out of Jake. Mr. I'm married to my job finally is given something he can care about and come how to with Chelsea and the kids (As long as he doesn't screw it up *cough cough) (Stupid man)  But she makes Jake see that he can be a caring person who has more to his life than work and a few quick hookups. She makes him want more and that scares him. 

Something else I really liked about Chelsea is that she isn't afraid to fight for what she wants. There is a scene in the book where the mama bear in her comes out and I had to say I was ready to give the girl a high five for it. I mean she seriously bared her teeth and was ready to throw down to protect those kids. 



Next I want to talk about all those adorable little monsters. Let's see if I can do this... There is Rory (The trouble maker) his twin Raymond (The smart one) their older sister Riley (Fourteen, need I say more. Oh yes and One Direction) their younger sister Rosaleen (The adorable curly headed cutie) Regan (the two year old "Hi" monster) and Ronan (The adorable little baby)
I think I got all of them, there's six there right? hehe

Ok so these kids are probably one of my favorite parts of this book, minus their dog It (Fuzzy little hairball) They all have such different personalities and add so much to the story. They are the reason Chelsea is in D.C. the reason Jake meets her, they provide comic relief to the plot, and I mean come on six kids in general in one household can make anyone laugh. Think about how many movies are out there with big families as the plot line. 

There is just something special about the way Emma writes these kids though. I mean they have gone through so much tragedy at such young ages and yet when they need to they come together and are always there for one another, not to say there isn't a whole lot of fighting and name calling involved in the process. And while there are also times where they get in a whole lot of trouble *couch Rory *cough Riley they know they have made mistakes and try to make things better from there. When it comes down to it they are scared kids who are grieving and they will make stupid decisions. 

Something I like about Jake being in their lives, is that he helps them see things from a different perspective. He doesn't just tell them things they need to hear, or condescending stuff adults tell kids when they screw up. He gives them advice out of experience, and wants them to earn a second chance and make something from that chance like he did.

Rory is probably my favorite because of how sarcastic and quick he is. They boy has the jokes and I like that fire I see in him. You can tell he is going to be so much trouble but yet he is smart and knows exactly what he's doing (even when it's the wrong decision) He's not afraid to speak his mind in the least, and really he's almost like a little mini Jake Becker (poor Jake haha)



We also get more Sofia, Stanton, and Brent. I love the three of them (Book 1, Overruled is Sofia and Stanton's story for anyone who hasn't had a chance to read it yet)

The four friends make such an amazing team throughout the books. They all help and defend each other, and are there when times get hard. They all have their own pasts, and personalities may be a bit different but that doesn't keep them from doing their jobs or supporting their friends. Even if that means giving them a kick in the butt when needed.

It's always fun seeing past characters though as series progress, I felt the same way when reading Christina Lauren's books and Kristen Proby's. All three series follow the same group of people but each book is about different characters from those books, and while it took me some time to enjoy books written like that, I can say that makes them so much better.

I love getting to see how things are still going with Sofia and Stanton, and I loved Sofia anyways so getting more of her is just great in general. And in the next book, Appealed we'll get Brent's story so I'm excited to get that when it finally is here too.


Well... I love talking about characters and could seriously talk about them all day (Not kidding)
but I just want to talk about some of my favorite parts of this book in general. And seriously there were a lot. I wont give you details because I don't want to spoil anything but I hope to give you places to look forward to.

So, my favorite part in the whole book you ask? When Stanton and Jake take Riley and Stanton's daughter to the One Direction concert. Literary gold there, I'm telling you. I laughed so hard, and the best part? Emma posted a list from Jake today on FB on how to survive going to a 1D concert. And it was so so funny. I shared the post on our FB page but I'll post it here too, because ya'll have got to check it out.


Another part I really liked in the book is when Jake is telling you about all the crazy stuff that has happened with him, Chelsea, and the kids sense coming into their lives. It's all written in flashbacks, but Oh-em-gee those were some of the funniest scenes in the whole book. 

Also whenever there is a scene about It the dog, there is usually something funny said. One scene isn't really even with the dog. It's when Jake is teaching Raymond how to handle a situation from school and Rory does some pretty funny stuff involving It's uh... droppings haha

Drunk Jake is funny too. It only happens once so be ready, but he had me laughing a whole lot. The scene this happens in too though is also a very intense and eye opening scene. It is good on so many levels so it classifies in my top ones.

Ok so now that I've tried to giveaway all the fun I guess I should get this thing wrapped up.

Pretty much to recap, I loved this book. I loved how much humor and sarcasm was in it. And I loved how this book really talks about second chances and how when given them by the right person they can make all the difference. 
I also love anything Emma Chase so I really couldn't tell you I hated this book now could I? lol

The book was beautifully written and am so happy was able to get the chance to review it. I love books like this from a man's perspective. We get so few of them, other than split POV's and Emma always does a super job at making these men very colorful and fun.

I would suggest to anyone to get a copy as soon as possible.

I give Sustained: *****5 Stars*****


No comments:

Post a Comment