Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Broken Juliet By: Leisa Rayven

Synopsis:

Some loves never let you go…

Cassie swore she'd never forgive Ethan for breaking her heart when they were in acting school years ago. He was her one great love, and when he refused to love her back, a part of her died forever…or so she thought. Now she and Ethan are sharing a Broadway stage, and he's determined to win her back. Finally he's able to say all the things she needed to hear years ago…but can she believe him? Has he really changed, and what makes this time different from all his other broken promises?

The answer lies somewhere in the past, and now the truth will come to light. Will Cassie rediscover what it's like to be trusting and open again--the way she was before Ethan? Or is it too late for these star-crossed lovers?


Don't miss this mesmerizing final chapter in the Bad Romeo duet, the unforgettable love story that captured the hearts of over two million fans online.


I just want to give a quick thank you to the awesome book gods over at St. Martin's Press for sending me my early review copy of this book. Ya'll rock, and I appreciate all you have done for me the past couple months. 

I don't think I have ever been so lost for words on how to write a review before. I'm sure if you read my review for Bad Romeo you noticed I got just a tad prolific and deep in that review. 
Bad Romeo spoke so much to me, and Broken Juliet has managed to speak to me even more. This series in general has just absolutely floored me. And to tell you the truth there are only a couple authors that have had the capability to make me such a mess after reading their books. Authors like Colleen Hoover and Jen Armentrout, to name a couple. 
But this book had me so invested in Cassie and Ethan I didn't want to put it down. Sadly life did get in the way this week, and I was not able to finish this work of art as quickly as I wanted to. If i had had the chance I probably could have finished it in a day. It was just that mesmerizing. 



Every reason I loved Bad Romeo still stands in this book. Great lead characters, great secondary characters, interesting way of breaking the book into past and present, great writing style, and amazing chemistry.
Everyone from book one is back, and we even get introduced to a few new faces like Dr. Kate Kate (No your eyes are not deceiving you, her first and last name are both Kate) Dr. Kate brings a calming effect to the story and allows for us to get a glimpse of Cassie's past when everything went downhill between her and Ethan. I mean we see that as the story flips between (as I fondly referred to them in the Bad Romeo review as Past and Present Cassie and Ethan.) The way Cassie tells about her past though with Dr. Kate gives us a better understanding as to how that past of her past effects her today though. When the book flips between the two time frames we get to see a little of how things are connected. Why that particular part of er past is being shared to explain why something is said in present time. But when she tells the story to Dr. Kate we get to see a direct reaction. That is something different between the two books, and I liked it a lot. I felt that I could understand Present Cassie a bit better. In Bad Romeo Present Cassie kinda drove me nuts. I completely understood why she had so many reservations about getting back with Ethan but I wanted to smack her a few times for not womaning up and giving it a shot. In this book though I felt like I had a much better understanding as to why she had her hang ups. I love Ethan but if a guy had broken my heart like he did to her, I probably would have acted the same way. 
That said, Present Ethan seriously melts my heart. I really love that dude. He has taken what was broken in him and patched it so much that he can now help to patch Cassie too. And let me just say... End of this book? I so freaking called it. Magic book super powers activate! hehe



So like I said, pretty much everyone is back for this book. And yes that means Connor. To tell you just a bit, I have a really special place in my heart for Connor. I love Ethan, but Connor is just the guy you want to want to be with. He is the sweet, caring, gentleman. That doesn't through you on the emotion roller coaster, and that you know you should be choosing. But can't because your so hung up on the bad/damaged boys. (Yup, I do it. All the freaking time. I gave up the nicest boy back my first couple years in college. I mean would have treated me like a princess too. And I blew him off for a guy I was attracted to a little more, and was a bit more wild for me. Who wound up showing me a side to myself I now love, but also hate, for giving him so much of myself for so long. It has taken 4 years but I recently realized that him being such a jerk, and blowing me off so often actually protected me from all the heart ache that probably would have come if we had been in a real relationship, and not just several bad hook ups.) Anyways, I guess that's why I love Connor so much. He reminds me of what I want in a guy. But let me jut tell you. Him and Cassie are going to get an act they have to do together that to me was brilliant. I mean it ultimately lead to tragedy, but I loved how it showed some depth to both of them.
Also Connor does a pretty racier scene with Ethan, and man it kinda floored me. I mean I am not a prude in the least, but this scene had even me like a dang! Not in a bad way though. Just in a this is gonna be some interesting stuff way. I like how Leisa pushed boundaries in this book. We get to see that none of these characters are just black and white, and I think it represents how daring it is to be an actor.
Connor is the catalyst though for Past Ethan and Cassie. He is in no fault for it, but it is him that brings the story to a breaking point I think.
He also allows for us to see just how much Present Ethan has changed. How the jealous over reacting side of him has dulled down, and he is now much more confident in himself and with his relationship with Cassie. So in short. I love Connor, and he just had to be in this story. HAD to!



We also get to see Tristan, Jack, Ruby, Zoe, and Elissa in this one too. I am still all about Zoe and Jack hooking up. I think they would make a hilarious couple. Just saying hehe
Once again they bring humor to the story and give Past Cassie and Ethan the push they need at times to rekindle their relationship. I don't have a lot more to say that I didn't cover in the Broken Juliet review, other than Tristan still cracks me up. That boy is great, and I love how supportive he is to Cassie and keeps her grounded. There is a joke on opening night he presents to Present Cassie and I have to say I got strange looks from the kids I nanny when I busted out laughing.



Ok I want to touch on something that has been brought up in both books now. The idea that just because something is used and battered, and no longer in pristine condition doesn't mean it isn't just as beautiful as it originally was. It doesn't mean it's broken or any less stunning. In Bad Romeo we see it when play director Marco's Boyfriend/ Husband. Whatever the man was, I can't remember shows Present Cassie and Ethan his valued collection of glass. Most of the pieces are a bit beat up and chipped. Including some that are completely broken and smashed. He explains that that is what he loves so much a bout it. The broken pieces in particular, how even though they were broken out of rage and hurt, that someone took the time to gather all the pieces and keep them, broken and all. That it shows what it has endured, and the past it survived through. Leisa made a good connection to Ethan and Cassie being a lot like the glass and how they were both broken, but yet still had the ability to be something beautiful, scars and all. How they still cherish the pieces and save them because they have so much meaning. We see this again in Broken Juliet when Present Ethan gives Present Cassie a gift. Now I won't spoil it for you and tell you much about it. But it does the same thing as the broken glass reference. To show that beauty isn't necessarily shown by looking perfect and flawless. It's the bumps along the way that shape you, and make you who you are. And can bring out the true beauty in something. I really loved that analogy, and think it is something everyone needs to consider in their lives.



I loved this book so so much. I actually am really sad to see this is the end. I could keep reading about Cassie and Ethan forever. No lie. And yes, I am still holding out hope that I will get my spin off. Even a novella would work. Just saying hehe

I give Broken Juliet:


No comments:

Post a Comment