Saturday, January 10, 2015

Wicked By: Jennifer L. Armentrout



Well this is probably one of the quickest reviews I have ever gotten posted before. I bought this book yesterday afternoon when it finally went live on B&N and had some time (Which I should have spent studying for my Bio final) to start reading. And like all good book junkies I stayed up till an ungodly hour reading, until I was literally to tired to keep my eyes open. Then when finally waking up again, I spent the better part of today (time I should be studying once again) finishing this book.

So did I love Wicked??? My answer, HELL YEAH!!!! It took me less than 24 hours to get the thing read. I got to the last page and wanted to cry, I wanted more, and I want it right that very minute hehe. I do not want to wait all the way until next summer to get my fix.



Synopsis:
Things are about to get Wicked in New Orleans.

Twenty-two year old Ivy Morgan isn't your average college student. She, and others like her, know humans aren't the only thing trolling the French Quarter for fun… and for food. Her duty to the Order is her life. After all, four years ago, she lost everything at the hands of the creatures she’d sworn to hunt, tearing her world and her heart apart.

Ren Owens is the last person Ivy expected to enter her rigidly controlled life. He’s six feet and three inches of temptation and swoon-inducing charm. With forest-green eyes and a smile that’s surely left a stream of broken hearts in its wake, he has an uncanny, almost unnatural ability to make her yearn for everything he has to offer. But letting him in is as dangerous as hunting the cold-blooded killers stalking the streets. Losing the boy she loved once before had nearly destroyed her, but the sparking tension that grows between them becomes impossible for Ivy to deny. Deep down, she wants… she needs more than what her duty demands of her, what her past has shaped for her.


But as Ivy grows closer to Ren, she realizes she’s not the only one carrying secrets that could shatter the frail bond between them. There’s something he’s not telling her, and one thing is for certain. She’s no longer sure what is more dangerous to her—the ancient beings threatening to take over the town or the man demanding to lay claim to her heart and her soul. (From B&N)




Ok ya'll so I have been counting down and counting down waiting for this book to be out, and I finally got my hands on it.

And what on earth would my life be if I didn't have some crazy story about obtaining my book to share with you?

So I 'm sure many of you know that some bookstores will go ahead and shelve a book a few days early sometimes, so here I am in my local Books-A-Million on Sunday searching the shelves to see if by some miracle this book is one of those. After searching almost the entire store and coming up empty I finally break down and ask the people at the help desk (Which I never do because if they find out a book was shelved early they will take it away from you and make you wait) SO I go up to the desk and the woman working I recognize as this super nice lady from the last time I was in before Thanksgiving. Thinking to myself "sweet this lady will know my pain and take pity on me" I ask if by chance the book has been shelved early. To which she gives me this nasty look and goes on to explain that that rarely happens and if it does it's a mistake blah blah blah blah blah (totally rude and not the same sweet lady I remember) plus BAM usually always puts books out a day or two early unlike the evil B&N (who if you don't know, I have love hate relationship I'm stuck in, due to my Nook) So reluctantly she finally goes over to the computer and searches the dang book for me. After flipping through the dozens of books named Wicked she finally has to ask who the author is again, and after what seemed like a year of her searching, informs me that the book will only be available in audio format. And I literally just kinda started at her for a minute or two dumbfounded. What the freak did she mean it was only available in audio form? This is a JLA book we are talking about. I know it comes out the next day, I''m a blog on the release event. So totally dejected I head out of the store and finish my shopping before hunkering down back home to spend the night studying (It actually was probably good I didn't get the book with my final the next day and all) So next day I head off to class take my A&P final and swing by the other BAM on my home thinking it will be there with it being release day and all. After a shelf check I go ask for help and am informed again that the book is only available on audio. So at this point I am totally confused. I come home fire up my neglected computer (I was trying to keep away from it to study) and get my release day posts made for Wicked and Breaking the Rules by Katie McGarry. When I realize I have made a huge mistake. After reading through all my release day packet info and trolling Jenn's Facebook I realized that Wicked was only going to be for sale in paperback on Amazon. So breaking down I waited for the B&N link for the e-book to go live and scooped it up on my Nook while also ordering my hard copy on Amazon (Thank God for Prime) Because even with two day shipping I couldn't wait to start reading. So that was this books crazy story. This seems to be becoming a new pattern in my book buying lately lol



So Wicked. This book is by far I think one of my favorite JLA books. It could possibly even be better than her Lux series *GASP!!!
I never thought those words would leave my lips hehe (That series until now has been my favorite along with Wendy Higgins's Sweet Evil series)

So this book was not at all what I expected. I had read the synopsis and the teasers and all that fun stuff but for some reason I guess I was really expecting these voodoo creatures, like something out of The Princess and The Frog lol. Ha, that would be a big NO. Instead I was met with fae. Really fae? Not that I am complaining or anything, but that was so far from where my mind had been heading. 
And normally I am not a fae kinda girl, I've only read a few that I really truly like in the past, and those were ones that had very fresh and unique takes on them. Which is exactly what Jenn did in this book. Plus the story wasn't predominantly based on a fae in particular like so many of the other books are. I loved that they had the creepy bump in the night thing going on, and while we were introduced to a few in particular, they were more just the nameless bad guys in the background.

What I really loved about this book though was how many twists and turns it took. Just when I thought I had everything figured out Jenn would take the book in a completely different direction, and I would be left going dayummmm!!!! 

This book was a pretty cool cross too. Jenn writes in a few different genres and this book took the paranormal feel that many of her YA books have, and then mixed that with the sexy steamy stuff her new adult romance books typically have. This is something that I actually am really excited about too. I love both genres so much, YA Paranormal Romance will always be my baby. Those books have been my go to kinda books from the time I read Hush Hush back sophomore year in high school. And as the New Adult books began to take off, and me at the same age as many of those characters I found myself drawn to them as well. But I do miss the strange world Paranormal Romance offers. And lets face it, most paranormal adult romance books you find are going to be a bit on the erotica or bdsm side, and while those can be good, they really aren't something I read all the time. So having this new wave of Paranormal New adult is literally the best thing I could ask for in a book hehe. And Jenn isn't the only one jumping on this. Cora Carmack released her new book Inspire only a week or two after this book came out, and it also is a crossover. And a really good one at that. 





And ok my gush part of this review. So this books Hottie is the sexy Ren.
He is by far one of my favorites so far that Jenn has written. He is witty, smart, caring, and a bit mysterious. He comes into Ivy's life and makes her feel things she never has in the past, not just physically but about the life she has been living till Ren comes into the picture. He brings out emotions that Ivy had never even wished to experience before, but Ren also brings secrets with him. Secrets that will change every thing in not only Ivy's life, but his as well. 
Ren oozes confidence and heck, what is more sexy than a guy with a motorcycle and takes what he wants?
I really do love his character and can not wait to get more of him in the next book.


(For your viewing pleasure, here is a pic of the sexy cover model)

Ok I have another character I would like to say a bit about. And that is Tink. While I wont give much away about the little terror I think he deserves some attention. Leading up to me reading the book I had seen a few teasers for Tink and most referenced those old troll dolls (you know those ones that you could brush their hair and had jewels as belly buttons) and I was so confused. Was Tink a troll? Hahahhhaah no, and believe me you will never guess what the little devil is. But, he was one of my absolute favorite characters in this book. And he has this obsession with buying thing on amazon with prime (1-click is a bitch ya'll hehe) Well read the book and get Tink in all his pain in the ass glory. But seriously he will make you laugh, and really is the best thing Jenn has ever created in one of her books.



So, what do I rate Wicked?

7 stars!!! This book was so amazing and I don't know if I can keep waiting for the next one, I seriously need it freaking now! It has everything a good book should and I can't wait to see what Jenn has up her sleeve next

*****I give Wicked 5 Stars*****


No comments:

Post a Comment