Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Gone Girl By: Gillian Flynn

If you’re looking for a book filled with suspense, mystery, and unexpected twists, this is the book you should pick up. Set in North Carthage, Missouri, Nick Dunne and his wife, Amy are getting ready to  celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary, but when he arrives home that evening he finds that his wife is missing. Told through Nick’s POV and Amy’s diary entries, you learn that everything  within this marriage is not what it appears.  



Overview:

Marriage can be a real killer.
   One of the most critically acclaimed suspense writers of our time, New York Times bestseller Gillian Flynn takes that statement to its darkest place in this unputdownable masterpiece about a marriage gone terribly, terribly wrong. The Chicago Tribune proclaimed that her work “draws you in and keeps you reading with the force of a pure but nasty addiction.” Gone Girl’s toxic mix of sharp-edged wit and deliciously chilling prose creates a nerve-fraying thriller that confounds you at every turn.

   On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

   As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

   With her razor-sharp writing and trademark psychological insight, Gillian Flynn delivers a fast-paced, devilishly dark, and ingeniously plotted thriller that confirms her status as one of the hottest writers around.

Okay, I know I’m super late on reading this book, but it’s not normally something I would even pick up. I’m normally drawn to YA fiction, so when a friend recommended it to me I thought “What the heck? Why not?” I didn’t even know what the book was about. I just skipped reading the synopsis and cracked open the book (this led to some very intense surprises). Also, I’ve been hearing how great this book is and decided it would be nice to figure out what all the hype is about. After reading this book, I finally understood why so many people were going crazy about it. It’s a must read. This book is sectioned off into three parts, and I’ll add that, in my opinion, the beginning took a bit of time to get the momentum going, but when you finally hit the point where his wife goes missing everything just picks up full speed from there.

 This psychological thriller will give you a run for your money. You hear from Amy or Nick, but you get contradicting information from their significant other. I spent so much time trying to figure out who the reliable narrator was and I couldn’t figure it out until the last page. You have to read it to see for yourself. The captivating characters and events that unfold will have you screaming or throwing your book across the room (trust me, people thought I was crazy. Don’t read it in public. You’ve been warned). After this wonderful ride, I NEED to read every other book this author has ever written. 

This book is definitely 5 stars.

Happy Reading!


WAIT!! While writing this post I found a movie trailer for this book! What?! I hope it captures the essence of the book. So many crazy things happen that Hollywood has no need to embellish. It’s good as is (but then again, I thing that abut every book that I love). Here it is, if you haven’t seen it.


No comments:

Post a Comment